Living in California is wonderful no doubt, but it does bring with it a series of unfortunate pests, namely – termites. These small insects strike large amounts of fear due to the amount of havoc and structural damage they can cause to your home, so it is imperative that you know how to identify them. So what do termites look like exactly?
What Do Termites Look Like?
While there are roughly over 40 different species of termites in the U.S. alone, each with their own distinct characteristics, they do all share enough similarities to be easily identifiable. Due to the fact that termites and ants look fairly similar, you want to ensure you are certain of what you’re dealing with.
- They usually measure between 1/4 and 1/2 of an inch long.
- The queens and kings can reach over an inch long.
- Their bodies are soft with straight antennae.
- Termites have thick waists and shorter legs
- Colors can vary in shades of white, brown, and black, depending on their species and age. Worker termites are often lighter while swarming termites are darker.
- Termites with wings will have two pairs that are roughly the same length.
What Do Termites Do?
Beyond their physical features, you can also identify termites by their behaviors. While signs may differ based on the species of termite you are experiencing, there are a few common signs to look out for.
- Termites are wood eaters, so unlike ants, they will not go after your food.
- Holes in wood and frass (piles of wood) around those holes.
- Hollow-sounding wood (when tapped).
- Mud tubes on exterior walls or wood beams.
- Wall damage.
- Termite swarmers or wings.
Termite Control in Oroville, CA.
If you have identified termites in your home, apartment, or commercial property, it is time to call in the professionals. Western Termite Control, Inc. proudly offers the following services.
- Complimentary Inspection: We offer free inspections to see if you need termite treatment.
- Full Inspection: We can provide a full termite inspection for wood-destroying organisms (WDO). This type of inspection is often required for real estate transactions and loans.
- Termite Treatment: If an infestation is confirmed, we will use our effective treatments to eradicate the colony using a variety of methods if needed.
- WDO Repairs: Our express conduct WDO inspections and repair any wood.
Contact Western Termite Solutions, Inc.
If you think you are experiencing termites, whether in a residential, commercial, or apartment setting, call Western Termite Solutions, Inc. at 530-534-1688 to book your professional inspector for a complimentary termite inspection. Don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions.